Monday, May 27, 2013

Blackberry Rhubarb Skillet Cake and Our Memorial Day Dinner


This cake is simple and delicious. I'm not a huge cake fan. I don't like overly sweet frostings or having half a cake's worth of leftovers sitting around the house for the next week so desserts like this are right up my alley. It's definitely more of an adult dessert but my daughter ate her's faster than I did. This was after telling me she wasn't going to eat it and then reluctantly agreeing when I told her she was having this for dessert or nothing at all. It's also easy to whip together on a day like Memorial Day where you've probably got a lot of other stuff going on in the kitchen. I sprinkled powdered sugar on top but something like sugar in the raw or even whipped cream would be good too.
I wasn't planning on posting this recipe so the fruit measurements and the cooking time are not exact...sorry! I just eyeballed the fruit and I think it ended up baking for about 40-45 minutes. Just keep an eye on it while it's in the oven, it's pretty easy to tell when it's done. The cake shouldn't be soft in the center. Mine was a little underdone, but it was still really good. I also used truvia in this recipe, it's a mix of table sugar and stevia. I like it because it has fewer calories and carbs than regular sugar and it's natural. I don't like using fake sweeteners. It was a little to sweet for me, so I'll use less next time. If you're using regular sugar then double what's in the recipe, or maybe use a little less. Taste the batter as you go to figure out what you like.

Blackberry Rhubarb Skillet Cake

Ingredients
  • 2 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 cup truvia (or 1 cup granulated sugar)
  • 2 eggs-whites and yolks separate
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup buttermilk or plain whole fat yogurt or 1 cup milk mixed with 1 Tbs vinegar
  • 1 cup blackberries & 1 cup rhubarb (reserve some for decorating top of cake)

Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9 inch cast iron skillet
  •  In a medium bowl mix together the dry ingredients
  • In a large bowl cream the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture starts becoming pale
  • Mix in vanilla and egg whites
  • Alternate adding in the flour mixture and buttermilk in 3 parts
  • Mix until creamy
  • Pour into skillet-and this is where things get kinda rough. I baked mine for about 35-40 minutes, then I arranged my reserved fruit on top of the cake when it was almost firm in the center and baked for about 5-10 more minutes. Sorry I can't be more accurate than this. Just keep an eye on the cake while it's baking. It really is pretty simple. 
  • Sprinkle with powdered sugar, sugar in the raw, or top with whipped cream 
Cody also grilled chicken, zucchini, and yellow squash for us that we ate with salad mixed with herbs and radishes from our garden, yum!




No comments:

Post a Comment